Italian hostage freed after 3 years in Syria returns home

MILAN — Italy's defense minister says an Italian who had been held hostage in Syria for three years has been released and returned to Italy.

Defense Minister Elisabetta Trenta late Wednesday confirmed Alessandro Sandrini's arrival at Rome's Ciampino airport and thanked Italian intelligence services for their role in his liberation. Details were not disclosed.

Sandrini, who is in his early 30s, disappeared after traveling to Turkey in October 2016, and wasn't heard from for over a year. In July 2018, a dramatic video showed Sandrini wearing an orange jumpsuit flanked by masked men brandishing automatic weapons, appealing to Italy to help free him as quickly as possible.

A local government in Syria affiliated with the al-Qaida-linked militant group Hayat Tahir-al Sham said he had been kidnapped by a criminal gang.

People also read these

Albania president denounces municipal elections

Jul 2, 2019

Albania's president has denounced Sunday's municipal elections as a "farce" and urged new polls to...

Armenia protesters defy ex-president's move to...

Apr 18, 2018

Thousands of people are flooding into the Armenian capital to protest the former president's shift...

40,000 gather in Armenia to demand leader's...

Apr 20, 2018

About 40,000 demonstrators gathered on the capital's central square as a week of large protests...

Talks between Armenian opposition, acting PM...

Apr 27, 2018

The leader of protests that forced out Armenia's longtime head took his campaign to the country's...

AP Interview: Pashinian warns Armenia not to...

May 2, 2018

The opposition leader spearheading weeks of protest in Armenia warned the government Wednesday not...

Sign up now!

About Us

24-7 Reporters publishes up-to-the-minute news 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our certified reporters are among the most experienced, well-trained and talented across the globe, covering issues resonating progressives in every corner of the world.

Contact us: sales[at]24-7reporters.com